Everyone has their favorite seafood place to go and get their fresh fish, oysters, clams, chtapódi, and shrimp for their summer seafood bakes. Summer brings all of us closer to the ocean and the sand; for those who are lucky they have their nice beach houses that overlook this mass body of water that provides so many of the Greek traditional dishes we have in our home. Our special is the Double Shrimp Souvlaki.
Picking and Preparing Shrimp
1. Go to someone who knows their seafood: My brother Franky and I go to Spiro at Astoria Seafood. We’ve built a great relationship with him and he lets us get dibs on the best shrimp he has for the Double Shrimp Souvlaki.
2. If it smells don’t buy it: When you go to buy shrimp or any seafood, ask them how long it’s been sitting in their displays, smell what you buy, and they should have a date displayed of their catch.
3. Marinate before cooking: Once you have your plump juicy shrimp, whole or just the tail, de-vain the shrimp, marinate the night before with a citrus blend, olive oil, salt and pepper. Make sure to not burn your shrimp on the grill or cook too long. It will get rubbery and you will have to chuck it.
What’s New at Uncle Gussy’s
Tomorrow is the last day of our Instagram Photo contest where seven people (three have already entered) will get a free meal from the truck.
What do you have to do?
1. Take a picture of you grilling.
2. Tag us on Instagram, @unclegussys and use the hashtag #GrillinlikeaVillain
3. Get creative with your food to win either the free meal or a sample of Mom’s Tzatziki. The three most creative grills, get Mom’s Tzatziki. We will pick those folks who really have grilled anything you can imagine.
All winners will be notified on Instagram. This is open to Tri-State area residents only (CT, NJ, NY) and all prizes are to be picked up at the truck on 51st and Park Ave between Monday through Friday.